1. What do you think will be the most important issue that the new government must address?
National unity. The prolonged campaign for GE13 has created an ugly environment and this must be mended immediately.
2. What do you think is Barisan Nasional’s greatest strength?
History. BN has been running the country since independence and a large chunk of voters may be hesitant to vote for change even if they see a need.
3. What do you think is Barisan Nasional’s greatest weakness?
UMNO. Many people dislike UMNO while being indifferent towards other component parties. With the tide changing against UMNO, other BN component parties suffer simply for being part of the coalition that puts UMNO as the supreme lord.
4. What do you think is Pakatan Rakyat’s greatest strength?
UMNO. Many supporters seem to not care about the policies that Pakatan promotes. They support Pakatan regardless of policies because they feel UMNO must be brought down.
5. What do you think is Pakatan Rakyat’s greatest weakness?
Their total and absolute dependence on Anwar Ibrahim. The real test is whether Pakatan can survive without Anwar.
6. What is your hope for Malaysia?
That we can move beyond ethnic and religious politics towards one that is based on policies.
Wan Saiful Wan Jan is Chief Executive, Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs.
New Mandala is asking Malaysians and Malaysianists worldwide their views on the two coalitions vying for power at the 13th general election in Malaysia. Their responses are published unedited.