17 July, 2018

A New Malaysia? #1: Meredith Weiss & Ambiga Sreenevasan

New Mandala

The first in a series of podcasts providing a snapshot of Malaysia in the aftermath of GE14.

THAILAND AT NEW MANDALA

Flexibility, but not security, in Thailand’s platform economies

เศรษฐกิจแพลตฟอร์มจากมุมมองของแรงงานในประเทศไทย Platforms such as Uber and Airbnb entice labourers into job insecurities that may not be perceptible in the short term.

DEMOCRACY IN CRISIS?

read more

Wielding the purse strings of Southeast Asian civil society

Illiberalism at home, and pro-market ideologies abroad, are putting pressure on Southeast Asian civil society organisations' financial health.

Southeast Asian cyberspace: politics, censorship, polarisation

The internet is both a factor in, and a victim of, the region’s crisis of democracy.

Old dominance, new dominoes in Southeast Asia

Democracy in the region finds itself in dark days. Can anything save it?

PHILIPPINES

MORE PHILIPPINES

Duterte’s war on tongues

President Duterte’s use of Bisaya is a push back against Imperial Manila’s dominance. But it is also creating new hierarchies of language of its own.

Mindanao activists never folded their banners

President Duterte's trust rating lies at 89% in Mindanao. It's time to listen to the voice of the other 11%.

Duterte’s selective human rights record

The first in our series of perspectives from young writers from Mindanao on two years of Dutertismo.

Indonesia & East Timor

more indonesia

Nahdlatul Ulama and the politics trap

A pillar of Indonesian civil society faces an ever more acute dilemma between representing a religious community and securing resources and influence within government.

Shariah, dakwah, and rock ’n’ roll: Pemuda Hijrah in Bandung

A movement making piety cool for youth alienated from traditional religious organisations has become a national phenomenon in Indonesia.

Measuring religious intolerance across Indonesian provinces

Trying out a more sophisticated measure of how religious intolerance varies across Indonesia's provinces.

Writing history in the Indian Ocean world

Writing history in the Indian Ocean world was the result of a complex interplay of global norms and local conditions of textual production.

PERSPECTIVES ON THE PAST

GE14 at New Mandala

A regime change glanced askance

The ‘cari makan’ or a rent-seeking political culture may be the hardest thing to reform in Malaysia, even under a reformist government. And human nature will make this almost impossible to do.

OTHER COUNTRIES & TOPICS

SEE THE NEW MANDALA ARCHIVES