1. What do you think will be the most important issue that the new government must address?
A Parliament that is more consultative and bi-partisan, honouring the “real manifesto” that is coming from the ballot box.
2. What do you think is Barisan Nasional’s greatest strength?
Track record in successfully steering Malaysia to what it is today.
3. What do you think is Barisan Nasional’s greatest weakness?
4. What do you think is Pakatan Rakyat’s greatest strength?
5. What do you think is Pakatan Rakyat’s greatest weakness?
Division among the three parties.
6. What is your hope for Malaysia?
Start a New Conversation on the state of the nation: practise new politics (integrity, new governance framework, innovations in democracy and progressive political thoughts); and widen the public sphere and put an end to the culture of fear so that the best ideas will prevail.
Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah is from Barisan Nasional. He is also the deputy higher education minister and an UMNO supreme council member.
New Mandala is asking Malaysians and Malaysianists worldwide their views on the two coalitions vying for power at the 13th general election in Malaysia. Their responses are published unedited.