1. What do you think will be the most important issue that the new government must address?
WS: That depends on who wins. I’m afraid that BN won’t change much, and PR may change too much for the taste of BN followers and cronies…
2. What do you think is Barisan Nasional’s greatest strength?
WS: Organization down to the latest kampung and financial capacity
3. What do you think is Barisan Nasional’s greatest weakness?
WS: Financial dependence
4. What do you think is Pakatan Rakyat’s greatest strength?
WS: The weaknesses of BN
5. What do you think is Pakatan Rakyat’s greatest weakness?
WS: The centrifugal potential of the coalition
6. What is your hope for Malaysia?
WS: That the competitive political landscape will produce a stable government and good governance at the end.
Dr. Wolfgang Sachsenröder is a visiting fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore and the Editor of Political Party Forum Southeast Asia.
New Mandala is asking Malaysians and Malaysianists worldwide their views on the two coalitions vying for power at the 13th general election in Malaysia. Their responses are published unedited.